Monday, February 11, 2008

Games you play vs. games you finish

There are really two types of games (ok, there are piles of categories, but go with me here).... there are games you play for the sake of playing much like a board game or sports where there is no real story or narrative and therefore no real finish... then there are games with a definite beginning, middle, and end.

I have come to find that I really play a lot less of the "games you finish". I've been playing through Ico and Metal Gear Solid 3 for ages... both are AMAZING games and truly the height of their craft, but I just don't have too many days where I have 2 or 3 hours straight to devote to a game like that.

The games that I end up playing more are fighting games, shoot em ups, and FPS shooters when there are more people around... generally more arcade style games... I can pick them up and play, sweet!

When I do have the time to actually play through a long game though, I get sucked right in...

Not exactly sure of my point here... but I feel guilty for not making it through so many of these cool, but long games... the "to be played" stack is growing.

2 Comments:

Blogger SBP said...

I haven't finished any of the GTA games for the PS2 for that reason. I've notice I've been playing the 360 "arcade" games a lot more with their pick up n' play focus which allows you to play for as short or as long as you want. Having said that...I still want The Orange Box! :-)

8:11 am  
Blogger scooter said...

oh yeah, Orange box is a great pile of games.... can't go wrong with that at all.

and I hear you're loving Pac Man C.E. ----SWEET!

9:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home